The An Tir Handbook, 3rd Edition, May XXXIII/1998
A Brief Timeline of the History of An Tir
by Countess Melissa Kendal of Westmoreland
- Anno Societatis I (1966/1967)
- May 1
- First Tournament of the Society for Creative Anachronism,
Diana Listmaker's (Diana Paxson) backyard in Berkeley California.
Participants later march up Telegraph Avenue to protest the 20th
- A.S. II (1967/1968)
- Jan. 6
Kingdom Coronation and Twelfth Night, Oakland, California, First
knighting of a person from the area that would become An Tir:
Jamie of the Oakenshield (from Three Mountains).
- A.S. IV (1969/1970)
- Dec. 31
- First Event in Three Mountains (Portland, Oregon), New Year's Eve Revel.
- A.S. V (1970/1971)
- May 3
Tourney in Madrone (Seattle, Washington) Clyde Schumann's Ranch,
- A.S. VI (1971/1972)
- Oct. 10
- First issue of The Crier Published by Roger the Goliard and Nancy Current.
- A.S. VIII (1973/1974)
- May 27
- Royal Tourney of Union. King Paul (of Bellatrix) and Queen Carol
(of Bellatrix), Monarchs of the West, sign a Charter joining the Barony
of Three Mountains and the Barony of Madrone in a provisional Principality.
First An Tirian Master at Arms - Raymond the Mild.
First An Tirian Companion of the Laurel - Sheen of Ire.
- Aug. 25
- First An Tir Coronet Tourney and Coronetting. King
Henrik (of Havn) and Queen Seitse, Monarchs of the West, invest
Sir Frederick of the West Tower and Anne of the White Tower First
Prince and Princess of Principality of An Tir.
- A.S. XI (1974/1975)
- Jan. 18
- First Official Event in Lions Gate
(Vancouver, British Columbia), Monboggian Mid-Winter New Moon
- Feb. 16
- Royal Tourney. Shire of Lions Gate. King Paul (of
Bellatrix) and Queen Carol (of Bellatrix), Monarchs of the West,
charter the University of Madrone (later to become University of
- A.S. X (1975/1976)
- July 4-6
- First Session of the University of Madrone.
- Jan. 3
- First An Tir Twelfth Night Coronetting. Prince Edward
(Zifran) and Princess Fiona (di Varanus) pass their coronets
to Elrond Blacksabre and Gilrean of Regen. This is the first
time the Coronetting was held apart from Coronet Tourney.
King William (of Hoghton) and Queen Donna (of Rollingwood),
Monarchs of the West, rechartered the University of Madrone
as the University of Ithra (means 'excellence' in Arabic)
- A.S. XII (1977/1978)
- July 16
Sergeant at Arms Tourney. Barony of Madrone. Only successful
candidate is Seamus MacCuraidh of Glenrochaidh (Now known as Duke
- West Kingdom Purgatorio Coronation. Big Trees
Camp. King Paul (of Bellatrix) and Queen Carol (of Bellatrix)
grant Master Michael the Black, founder of the University of
Ithra, the first S.C.A. Augmentation of Arms
- Jan. 14
- An Tir Twelfth Night Coronetting. (Climax of the
An Tir Rebellion) A petition of Rebellion against the West
Kingdom was presented to Prince Edward (Zifran) and Princess
AlmaTea (av den Telemarken) by Viscount Sir Elrond Blacksabre,
Friar William of Woodland and Master Duncan of Chisholm,
Principality Seneschal. Prince Edward declared that he would hold
the Crown of the King of An Tir for its rightful holder in the
- Mar. 25-26
- An Tir Coronet Tourney. Prince Manfred and Princess Koressa
institute the Order of the Iron Chain for exceptional physical
bravery and grant it to Harrold of Warrington, Morimoto Koryu,
and Guillaume de Vinvert for a horse rescue at the previous
- A.S. XIII (1978-1979)
- Prince Ulfred (Drommefjell) & Princess Valkyrie (Drommefjell)
decide to change An Tir from three reigns a year to two and
determine that the Champion of An Tir will be fought for at July
Coronetting each year.
- Oct. 7
- West Kingdom Fall Crown Tourney. Big Trees Camp. Viscountess
Janeltis Karaine Starfollower, OL, Baroness of the Court, is
created Dowager Princess of An Tir by Their Majesties James
(Greyhelm) and Verena (of Laurelin), at the petition of the
citizens of An Tir.
- Jan. 5
- West Kingdom Twelfth Night Coronation. Alyanora of Vinca,
Baroness Adiantum, is crowned the first Queen of the West from An
- Apr. 28-29
- West Kingdom Beltane Coronation. King Steven and Queen Alyanora
crown Viscount Sir Steingrim Stellari and Lady Rhiannon of the
Lost Star first King and Queen of the West from An Tir.
- AS XV (1980/1981)
- Jan. 17
- An Tir Twelfth Night Coronetting. Barony of Lions Gate.
Baron Gerhard Kendal of Westmoreland, Earl Steingrim Stellari,
Baron Theodolf of Borogrove and Baroness Anne of Caerdydd
petition the Board of Directors of the S.C.A. through Frederick
and Nicorlynn, King and Queen of the West, to raise An Tir to the
status of Kingdom.
- The Board of Directors determine that the next An Tir
Coronet Tourney will be our first Crown Tourney.
- Sept. 5-7
- First An Tir Crown Tourney. Barony of Lions Gate.
King Steingrim (Stellari) and Queen Leonora (di Felicie) invest
Master Manfred Kriegstriber and Lady Morag Campbell of Glenbourne
as Crown Prince and Princess of An Tir.
The other finalists in the Crown Lists were Sir Seamus d'Erochai
inspired by Lady Bolverk of Momchilovich, and Viscount Sir
Scellanus of Skye inspired by Viscountess Maelen of Catcott.
- Jan. 16
- First An Tir Twelfth Night Kingdom Coronation. Barony of
Madrone. Last Prince and Princess of the Principality of An Tir:
Viscount Sir Ulfred Drommefjell, Mistress Sumingo of Amaranth,
King Radnor (of Guildemar), and Queen Esmeralda (Dancingstar),
Monarchs of the West, crown Master Manfred Kriegstriber and Lady
Morag Campbell of Glenbourne first King and Queen of An Tir.
- AS XXVI (1991-1992)
- Jan. 11-12
- An Tir Kingdom Twelfth Night. The Region of Avacal is
elevated to the status of Crown Principality. King Tjorkill
(Kanne) and Queen Hlutwige (Wolfkiller), create the Lion of An
Tir, given but once a reign to the subject whom Their Majesties
feel most bodies the spirit of An Tir and the Society. They
invest Duke Master Manfred Kriegstriber as the principal of the
- AS XXVII (1992-1993)
- May 15-17
- An Tir Crown Tourney. The Region of the Summits is
elevated to the status of Crown Principality.
- AS XXIX (1994-1995)
- Jun. 11-12
- Council of Crowns, Barony of Dragonslaire. Their
Royal Majesties Darius and Jacyntha, King and Queen of An Tir,
host the Monarchs of the Knowne World, in the first regular
meeting of the Crown Heads of the Laurel Kingdoms.
- AS XXX (1995-1996)
- July 21
- Her Serene Highness Dowager Princess Janeltis Karaine
Starfollower passes from our mortal company to the realm of
- Mar. 30-31
- First Coronet Tourney and Coronetting of the
Principality of the Summits. King Thorin (Njalson) and Queen
Sineidin (ban Thorin) invest Sergeant Lawrence of the Marshes and
Lady Mirriam de Xaintrailles as the First Prince and Princess of
the Summits. Finalist in the Coronet Lists: Master Timothy
McDaniel, Grendal's Kin inspired by Lady Fearga.
- AS XXXI (1996-1997)
- Jun. 7-16
- Thirty Year Celebration. An Tir hosts the Known World
under the leadership of Master Jean Louis de Chambertain, OL, OP.
- Jun. 29-Jul 1
- First Coronet Tourney of the Principality of
Avacal. Barony of Borealis. Duke Rorik Gunnarsson wins, inspired
by Lady Gwendolyn Gover. Finalist in the Coronet Lists: Sir
Aethelhere the Unsteady, inspired by the Honourable Celine
- Aug. 2-5
- First Coronetting of the Principality of Avacal.
Barony of Myrganwoode. King Thorin (Njalsson) and Queen Sineidin
(ban Thorin), Monarchs of An Tir, coronet Duke Rorik Gunnarsson
and Lady Gwendolyn Gover as the first Prince and Princess of